BRUSSELS — The European Commission's competition commissioner, Karel Van Miert, is questioning the U.K.'s subsidy package to BMW AG for its Longbridge, U.K., Rover plant and may block the plan. The U.K. promised BMW £150 million (US$241 million) in aid for a £1.7 billion (US$2.7 billion) investment to update the aging plant (see WAI Update — April '99, p. 1) after BMW threatened to close the plant and move production to Hungary. Van Miert is concerned that BMW may receive excess ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.