Magna International Inc. faced a late-June United Auto Workers union organizing vote by about 1,850 workers in 17 Michigan plants. The Canadian-based auto supplier's work force of nearly 60,000 workers is largely union free at its 174 plants in 19 countries. ... Meritor Automotive Inc. says it will close some of its European plants and trim its global workforce by 500. The moves will cost the company $10 million this year but offers an expected savings of $21 million in fiscal 2001. Meritor Chairman Larry Yost says Meritor's Heavy Vehicle Systems account for 60% of the charge, primarily through staff reductions and eliminating excess manufacturing capacity. The remaining 40% is in Light Vehicle Systems, where activities will be combined. ... Some 775 salaried employees from Delphi Automotive Systems' Energy & Chassis Systems and Interior Systems divisions from current facilities in Dayton, OH, and Warren and Flint, MI, will begin consolidation into two new facilities, scheduled to be built adjacent to Delphi's existing headquarters in Troy, MI. The new digs will give Delphi 240,000 sq.-ft. (22,300 sq.-m) of added workspace when completed in early 2002. - Compiled by Mike Arnholt, Brian Reuwee and the WAW staff