The math is simple: material costs are 78% of the total. Attacking them gets “cost out fast,” says Thomas Sidlik, DaimlerChrysler Corp. executive vice president, procurement and supply. “We need results fast. We cannot go forever,” says Wolfgang Bernhard, DCC's new chief operating officer. To that end, DCC executives are demanding that their suppliers cut costs by 5% effective Jan. 1, 2001, and they are to work with DCC staff to design and engineer another 10% savings by Jan. 1, 2003. On ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.