ATLANTA – Several composite suppliers have developed new technologies that may spur a significant shift in the auto industry away from steel to composite body panels. Ford uses the Tough Class A SMC for the rear fender on its Explorer SportTrac The innovative methods, discussed here at the Composite Fabricators Assn. conference, eliminate many defects via new hybrid materials and heating procedures that are used to cure composite parts. Inconsistent surface quality on ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.