Full details now available on the BMW AG Valvetronic engine add significantly to WEVTU's advance pre-release report (see WEVTU — Jan. 1, '01, p.1). The unique feature of the Valvetronic 4-cyl. unit is the scrapping of the conventional throttle butterfly — instead using the inlet valves as the “throttle” by instantaneously varying their lift on the induction stroke. This eliminates the typical throttled-engine pumping losses that waste up to 10% of engine power, BMW states, and thus gives a ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.