NICE, France – If you can’t beat ’em, join ’em. Then beat ’em. That explains Volkswagen AG’s new attitude toward hybrid-electric vehicles as it continues the rollout of its core-brand Touareg Hybrid midsize cross/utility vehicle. As recently as 2005, hybrid technology was derided as “nonsense” by VW’s then-CEO Bernd Pischetsrieder, a major diesel endorser. VW continues to be a leader in diesel technology, but with its mission to become the world’s top auto maker, it now embraces ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Printer-friendly" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.