(Adds price cut details, comment) MUMBAI, Feb 28 (Reuters) - Shares in Indian auto makers surged on Tuesday after the finance minister proposed a cut in duty on small cars in the budget for the year to March 2007. Palaniappan Chidambaram lowered the excise duty on small cars to 16 percent from 24 percent to promote India as a hub for small cars, sending shares in top car maker Maruti Udyog Ltd. up by nearly 6 percent to a record 834.20 rupees. Maruti, in which Japan's Suzuki Motor ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"UPDATE 1-Indian auto makers cheer small car duty cut" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.