(adds background, detail) FRANKFURT, Aug 30 (Reuters) - Volkswagen said on Tuesday in a veiled warning to unions that an internal committee had told it to build its compact sports utility vehicle in Portugal because it would be cheaper than Germany. The group, locked in cost-savings talks with German staff, said that assembling the car in Portugal would cost at least 1,000 euros ($1,232) less per vehicle than it would do in Wolfsburg -- VW's main base in Germany. Europe's biggest ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"UPDATE 1-Volkswagen committee advises building SUV abroad" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
For WardsAuto.com pricing and subscription information please contact
Lisa Williamson by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: (248) 799-2642