(Recasts throughout) By Gilbert Le Gras OTTAWA, Feb 21 (Reuters) - Higher than expected retail sales in December herald stronger sales in January due to the popularity of Christmas gift cards, and that points to two more interest rate hikes by the Bank of Canada, analysts said on Tuesday. Statistics Canada said December retail sales rose 0.3 percent from November. Analysts had expected an increase of 0.2 percent. "This recent shift towards gift cards that retailers don't count until ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"UPDATE 2-Canada's Dec retail sales herald more rate hikes" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
All of WardsAuto's reliable, in-depth industry reporting and analysis
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.