(Adds details, background) FRANKFURT, Aug 30 (Reuters) - A Volkswagen internal panel has proposed building a new sport utility vehicle in Portugal rather than Germany, the company said on Tuesday, driving home its tough line on slashing production costs. In a veiled warning to high-wage German staff, Europe's biggest carmaker said that assembling the compact SUV in Portugal would cost at least 1,000 euros ($1,232) less per vehicle than it would do in Wolfsburg -- VW's main German base. ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"UPDATE 2-Volkswagen panel proposes building SUV abroad" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.