’10 Price Range:
’09 Price Range:
Prius I, II, III, IV 4-door hatchback
1.8L I-4/electric motor
What’s New for ’10
- The redesigned third-generation Prius is powered by a larger Atkinson Cycle 1.8L 4-cyl. engine, in combination with an improved hybrid-control system.
- Fuel economy is improved to a combined 50 mpg (4.7 L/100 km). That compares with 46 mpg (5.1 L/100 km) for the second-generation model and 41 mpg (5.7 L/100 km) for the first-generation Prius.
- According to , the larger engine provides more torque at lower RPM, requiring less fuel to maintain highway speeds, while other changes, including an electric water pump, also help boost fuel economy.
- Additionally, the motor, inverter and transaxle are 20% smaller and lighter than those of previous models, while the regenerative braking system also is more efficient.
- Aluminum hood, rear hatch, front suspension components and brake calipers along with super-high-tensile-strength inner rocker panels, B-pillars and roof reinforcement trim weight.
- Improved sound deadening and improved aerodynamics reduce interior noise.