Valeo prototype hybrid uses 11-lb. 48V battery for some electrical needs.
PARIS – In three years, a new owner of a German premium car will lift the hood to show off to his neighbors, but the point of pride won’t be the downsized engine. Instead, the focus will be on the mild hybrid’s tiny 48V lithium-ion battery that will replace today’s bulky 12V lead-acid batteries. The new battery will weigh 11 lbs. (5 kg), instead of the current 44 lbs. (20 kg). That’s because Germany’s VDA auto industry association has decided to ...
Premium Content (PAID Subscription Required)
"Valeo Banking on 48V Li-ion Battery Replacing Bulky 12V for Mild Hybrids" is part of the paid WardsAuto Premium content. You must log in with Premium credentials in order to access this article. Premium paid subscribers also gain access to:
Hundreds of downloadable data tables including:
• Global sales and production data by country
• U.S. model-line inventory data
• Engine and equipment installation rates
• WardsAuto's North America Plant by Platform forecast
• Product Cycle chart
• Interrelationships among major OEMs
• Medium- and heavy-duty truck volumes
• Historical data and much more!
Current subscribers, please login or CLICK for support information.